Friday, October 18, 2013

Skinny Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins

I've discovered a new found love of baking-but I don't necessarily love what baked goods do to my belly. I also really enjoy sharing food (especially something I've made) with my loved ones, but what I consider a lovely meal or dessert, my boyfriend considers bird food. Que these Skinny Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins! They're so decadent that you'll be bewildered at how on earth they are healthy, and they'll leave your family asking for seconds or thirds (even the individuals who, and I quote, "hate healthy food"). At about 83 calories a pop, you might as well go ahead and have that second, third... or fourth (I won't mention it).



  • 1/2 cup protein powder (I used a vanilla whey, but you can use any of your own preference)
  • 3/4 cups whole wheat flour (you can use any flour of your choice to make this gluten free. I'd like to try it using almond flour)
  • 1/4 cup and 1 tbs Truvia (or other stevia sweetener, or 3/4 cup raw sugar)
  • 3/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 3/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil 
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • baking spray
  • 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips

  • Pre-heat oven to 350°F, place liners in muffin tins, and lightly spray with a baking oil spray (I like the coconut cooking oil spray from Trader Joe's, but any cooking spray will work). Add all dry ingrediants together. In a seperate bowl add all of the wet ingrediants together (tip: melt the coconut oil a little in the microwave before combining, as most coconut oils are solid and hard to mix). Then add all ingrediants together and fold in chocolate chips. Pour into muffin tins (makes roughly 15 muffins). Place on center rack and bake 22-24 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean. Let cool for 15 minutes before eating.

    They're about 83 calories, have 3.5 grams of fat, 9 grams of carbs, 3.5 grams of sugar, and 5 grams of protein. So you (and your family-just don't tell them) can enjoy with out the guilt!

    -A

    No comments:

    Post a Comment