Friday, October 4, 2013

A Delicious Superfood Breakfast

First of all I want to express my extreme guilt for not keeping up with this blog nearly as much as I would have liked and intended to. Almost three months (GASP!) between posts is not cool, and won't be happening again! Secondly, I also want to apologize for not using this blog as it's initial intended purpose (outfit posts, duh). You see, I've been cheating. I've been cheating on fashion for food and fitness. Now that we have that established, I'm going to promise you an outfit post very soon (within the week) and also share with you a current recipe I am OBSESSED with. You're welcome.

After most definitely the worst commute in the year that i've been in New York (yes, it's now been a FULL year- I can't believe it either!) that included a packed train station, 30 minute delays in trains, trains running express when they should be local and (the icing on the cake), a woman accross from me puking several times, the only thing I could think about was how much I wanted to get to work and eat my breakfast. So, I present to you my Chia Seed Pudding! (guaranteed to make you feel slightly better about your crappy morning commute)


I realize this is not by any means a "new" or "unique" recipe, but it is new to me so I thought I'd share it. I kept seeing posts about it, and I assumed it would be difficult but it's quite possibly the easiest breakfast ever.

1/4 cup chia seeds (I purchased mine at Trader Joe's)
2/3 cup milk (I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, you can use whatever milk or milk substitute you like)
1 tbs agave nectar (I use the raw organic one from Trader Joe's, you can also use pure maple syrup or honey if you prefer, and also adjust the amount to your desired amount of sweetness)

Throw that in a bowl and just stir the crap out of it, until all the seeds are soaked. Pop that in the fridge and leave it overnight. The chia seeds puff up and turn into somewhat of a tapioca consistancy while still maintaining a slight crunch-it's delicious. In the morning top with whatever toppings you like. I kept it fairly simple for my first time- blueberries, strawberries and hemp seeds. However, I'm looking forward to making a chocolate version and using different fruit, nuts, or nut butter toppings as well.

Let me know how you guys like it, and I'll be back posting very soon!

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment